The ankle is one of the most common places for a girl or a woman to have a tattoo (besides the lower back) because ankle tattoos have certain advantages over other types of tattoos:
- A woman's ankle is a very delicate place and creates a visually enchanting point of interest.
- Tattoos that wrap around the ankle are eye catching, and bring focus to the legs which makes them subtly flirty.
- An ankle design is easy to cover, yet it is also easy to expose when you are ready to show off.
- Since most ankle tattoos are relatively small, they are usually inexpensive.
There are some disadvantages as well:
- Getting an ankle tattoo can be painful because the skin is close to the bone in that area (it depends where though) . The pain is not that bad, a foot tattoo hurts more.
- Some images do not work well though because of the ankle's particular shape and size. Smaller details become blurred on tiny tattoos, and a small ankle design may not appear as sharp as you might expect.
- A new ankle tattoo is more prone to infection than tattoos in other areas and will also bleed more easily. The ankle is hard to keep clean because it's so close to the ground.
Choosing an image that has larger details is best, but you may want to seek the advice of a tattoo artist. By letting a professional look at the size and shape of your ankle, you can get a better idea of what type of image can be put there.
Many people have a tattoo on the outer ankle, but there are plenty more placement options. The inner ankle is a good place for a cute and simple tattoo. For a more dramatic look, you can get inked on the back of your ankle. The front is ideal for cascading tattoos on women, because it draws attention up the leg. If you get a wraparound image like a rosary tattoo, you can show off your ink from all directions.
There are essentially two basic styles of ankle tattoos:
- Band and bracelet tattoos: are popular for men and women.
- Small, delicate pictures: flowers, hearts and other girly designs.
Common choices include:
- Vines & Flowers: without doubt the most popular designs.
- Religious symbols like rosaries, crosses and angels: second place when it comes to popularity. Nicole Richie has a rosary beads and cross tattoo on her ankle, which inspired many girls to do the same.
- Tribal or Celtic bands
- Various bracelets
- Stars, shooting stars or stardust
- Kanji (Japanese symbols)
- Words and phrases
- Cute insects like butterflies and ladybugs.
Here's a photo gallery for your inspiration:
Famous Ankle Tattoos
Quite a lot of actresses (and some actors) have an ankle tattoo, here's a list:
- Megan Fox: has a crescent moon & star on her ankle.
- Justin Timberlake: has an initials tattoo there.
- Charlize Theron: has a fish on the back of her ankle.
- Cindy Lauper: has a leopard on her left ankle.
- Rihanna: has a sixteenth note and a treble clef on her left ankle and a girly skull on the back of her right one.
- Cher: has a black rose.
- Kelly Clarkson: has a sunflower on her right ankle.
- Penelope Cruz: has the number 883 on her right one.
- Pink: has a kanji tattoo on her right ankle (meaning good luck)
- Joss Stone: has a shooting star, flower and small cross on her right ankle and foot.
- Drew Barrymore: has a cross as well.
- Jon Bon Jovi: one of the few men, has a dragon on his ankle.
- David Bowie: has a lizard tattoo
- Adriana Lima: has a tribal and star on her left ankle