If you're like most people born under the Aquarius sign, you've got a creative streak, an individual spirit, and a talent for arts. An Aquarius tattoo can help you express all of that...
That being said, cool aquarius tattoos are hard to find in my opinion. A lot of them are not very pretty...
Anyway, you might need a little information to help you choose and design your Aquarius tattoo...
Aquarius Sign Tattoos
Aquarius tattoos may be something you consider if you were born between January 20th and February 19th.
The Aquarius sign - a glyph made of two stacked, horizontal waves - is universally recognizable and a standard zodiac tattoo. There are many variations that can be made on this basic design. The waves could be altered in shape, perhaps to take on more of a blade-like shape or a less jagged form, making it more like calligraphy. You also could add surrounding elements, like water droplets or a wave in the background.
Here are some tattoo ideas to get your started:
Aquarians are associated with:
- Stone: Garnet
- Color: turquoise
- Metal: Uranium
- Flower: Lily and Aloe
Aquarians are supposed to have these characteristics:
But also these:
Water Bearer Tattoos
Many Aquarians also ink themselves with a water bearer, traditionally a man (believed in ancient Greece to be the god Aquarius) pouring water out of a jug or urn. This man is sometimes kneeling or standing or has his back turned, and turns up just as often as a young, muscular kind of guy as an old, bearded man. The water bearer is the symbol for the Gods nourishing our earth.
Other common Aquarius tattoos replace the male water bearer with a beautiful woman, bathing or emptying urns. Other posibilities are water nymphs, mermaids, or even the god Poseidon hoisting his trident. These sea-people are usually swimming, making intricate designs with their bodies or tails, or bursting from the waves.
Personalizing Your Aquarius Tattoo
As with most zodiac tattoos, part of the fun of an Aquarius tattoo is finding ways to take the traditional, expected designs and tweak them to make them more personalized. You can adapt your Aquarius tattoo to reflect your personality, culture or the tattoo's meaning in a variety of ways:
- One way is to play around with the water bearer. Make him resemble you (whether you're male or female) or someone you love. Even your favorite cartoon character can work. Dress him up in baggy pants and sunglasses, or a super-bad pair of heels, for females. Give him an Afro or twin pigtails; be creative!
- A Japanese-brush effect can make your Aquarius sign more elegant or suited to your background.
- Another way to individualize your tattoo’s look is by modifying the Aquarius symbol to fit your needs. Try creating a tribal Aquarius tattoo by making the lines and angles of the wave design sharper, thicker, and less free-flowing. On the other hand, you can make the glyph even more wave-like and turn it into a series of very shallow waves.
- You can add suns, moons, stars, and other symbols of space, astronomy and astrology to help make it clear that you are flaunting your zodiac sign.
- You can surround the water bearer with tribal patterns, just like this design:
Outside the Jug
There's no need for horoscope tattoos to be so literal, though. There are plenty of ways to show your Aquarius pride without being traditional. Any aquatic imagery should work...
Here are some more aquarius ideas:
- Are you a volatile, unpredictable type of person? How about a tsunami wave or rising flood waters like in the picture below (Japanese style)?
- Or are you calm and peaceful? Try a tranquil lake, a waterfall, or a babbling brook.
- If you're a lone-wolf (as many Aquarians tend to be) or very independent and thoughtful, consider using a figure of a man or woman sitting on a lonely cliff overlooking the sea. If you're a leader or a spiritual person, place this figure walking through or on water. Depict a pair of hands being washed, or even a baptism.
- Sea animals, especially dolphins, are another option, as these creatures were said to pull the chariot of Poseidon, the sea god. A shark, octopus, or seahorse can speak volumes about your personality. Just be extra careful when considering getting a fish tattoo, as these are the symbol for Pisces, the sign after you in the zodiac. Go for one fish rather than two or more, and make sure to emphasize the water around them, just for extra distinction.
- Another creative (though esoteric) idea is to get a tattoo of the chemical symbol for water: H20.
- Flowers or plants associated with water, like reeds, lily pads, and lotuses are another good idea. Orchids, tulips, and goldenrods are also particularly connected with Aquarius.
In the end, your options are only as limited as your imagination and your tattoo artist's ink and talent. You can get an Aquarius tattoo that expresses anything you like, from a life situation to feelings for a loved one, from your personal outlook on life to your cultural background. Or, you can just get a good, old-fashioned Aquarius tattoo that still shows the world who you are - an Aquarius, open-minded, artistic, and stubbornly your own person.
You'll find a lot more Horoscope Tattoos Here...