Design Your Own Tattoo
A custom tattoo is a piece of body art that is really a part of you and carries your special meaning. Designing your own tattoo is not as hard as it sounds and it's much more rewarding compared to going to the parlor to buy tattoo designs.
Here is a unique step-by-step process to design your own tattoo:
- Go somewhere quiet and make yourself comfortable. Bring some papers, a pencil, plenty of colored pencils and an eraser.
- Think about the following questions and write the answers down on a piece of paper:
- What are the main themes in your life?
- What parts of yourself make you happy?
- What parts of life or of yourself are you struggling with?
- What are your most vivid memories?
- What are your goals in life?
- Are you spiritual or religious? What do you think is the force that drives our universe?
- Put your answers aside and relax for a while. Close your eyes and clear your mind, try not to think about anything (this is very hard, but trying is good enough for our purpose). Scan your body and relax every part of it, remove every tension. Do this for a couple of minutes.
- Now picture yourself in your mind and start zooming in to a particular body part. Do not think about what body part, just follow your intuition.
There's a tattoo on that particular body part. Look at it and make the image you have in your mind bigger and bigger. What kind of tattoo are you looking at? Is it a big or a small design? What colors are in it? Zoom in and look at every detail of your tattoo design.
- Open your eyes and take your pencils and a piece of paper. Start sketching the tattoo design you just saw, it doesn't matter if you're good at drawing or not. After sketching color your design.
- Write down and describe those features of your tattoo design you can't draw. Also write down what kind of feeling the tattoo gives you. Think about the design and write down the first words that enter your mind (don't think about it, just do).
- Now you should have a better understanding of what kind of tattoo you are looking for. Take your sketches to your tattoo artist and explain him what kind of feel and meaning you want your tattoo design to convey. A good tattoo artist will refine your ideas and together you will create a totally original tattoo design that is full of symbolism!