The Libra Tattoo
When people are getting a tattoo, they are looking for something that will represent them symbolically. Many people believe in astrology at least enough to believe that their sign tells them a little about themselves, but it's a step further to actually get a horoscope tattoo. More and more people seem to be into this though, and libra tattoos are one of the more popular zodiac designs.
The symbol and the scales that represent the Libra are the two common symbols for Libra tattoos.
According to Greek mythology, the Libra is associated with the goddess Themis, one of the oracles at Delphi. She is considered the first of the gods to organize people into obedience with laws.
The Latin equivalent of Themis is Justitia (Lady Justice), the Goddess of justice. The image of Themis or Justitia holding the scales is a popular choice for zodiac tattoos.
The Sign of the Libra
On the zodiac the Libra is a balancing scale. As the only non-human or animal astrological sign, the Libra stands out from the other symbols.
People who are Libras are born from September 22 to October 24 and many astrologers believe this point is the best time of the year: the Libra, according to astrology, is balanced, which is why the scales are the Libra’s symbol. This balance is represented in the Libra’s personality and in many Libra tattoo choices. The balance represents moderation, which Libras are supposed to have.
The Libra sign is:
- An air sign
- Ruled by the planet Venus
These are Libra's astrological associations:
- Stone: opal
- Color: blue
- Metal: copper
- Flower: rose
These are the characteristics that Libras are supposed to have:
- Friendly and charming
- Diplomatic: hey tend to ask questions and get all sides of a story before making a decision
- Libras have a great sense of justice
Libra Scale Tattoos
The primary Libra symbol is the scale (Libra is the Latin word for weighing scales). Sometimes a man is holding the scales, and he is balancing them with the center of the scale on his fingers. This man represents the Universe, and the Libra is making a balanced decision.
Sometimes the scale is held by a woman called Astraea, the personification of justice or Themis (aka Justitia), about whom we talked earlier.
The symbol is often called the “scales of justice,” and they are used to represent the U.S. judicial system. Many Libra tattoos use this scale as their basis.
Libra Symbol Tattoos
Libra also has a glyph, which is a written symbol. This symbol looks like two parallel lines, but the top line has a half-circle in the middle of it. This glyph is one of the more common Libra tattoo designs you will see.
Libra Tattoo Designs
The scale is the basis for most Libra tattoos. Usually someone or something is holding the scales:
- A man
- A woman
- A dragon
- A tree
- A branch or a vine
- Libra's zodiac symbol
- Angel wings
- A ribbon
Going with the symbol gives you fewer options. All of the Libra tattoo designs you find with the glyph begin with the lines with the half-circle on them. These lines may be straight or they may have curls at the end.
Besides the glyph itself, the Libra tattoo may have an intricate design around the glyph to make it more enticing to the eye. If you are looking for a fairly plain tattoo however, just a black glyph by itself is an excellent choice. Make sure you pick a good tattoo artist for your tattoo, the Libra symbol may be a simple design, but I've seen a lot of badly done libra symbol tattoos lately.
Libra sign tattoo with ribbon and flowers
Unique Libra Tattoos
If you like the idea of a Libra tattoo but cannot find one you like, then try to think out of the box. Here are some unique libra tattoo ideas:
- In the Tarot there's a card with the figure of Justitia. Tarot cards often have beautiful artwork, so it might be a good idea to look around for old tarot cards to see if you can find some nice designs.
- Instead of just using the scales in your tattoo design, you can place objects in the scales. What objects depends on your personality and imagination...
- The number 7: Libra is the 7th sign of the zodiac. 7 is a special number in many religions and cultures.
- Libra's motto is "I balance". You can add the word "balance" to your libra tattoo or a Sanskrit or Tibetan translation of the word "balance".
- Look for a stylized version of the Libra symbol, in the Celtic or tribal fashion for example.
- Instead of a normal scale, you can make the scale out of branches of a tree.