Lower Back Tattoos
Lower back tattoos can be stylish when done right, particularly for girls and women. In the late 1990s however, lower back tattoos have been getting so extremely popular amongst cute girly girls that they got a bad name (the tattoos).
Nearly 25% of the American population aged 18 to 50 has a tattoo, out of which almost 20% of the women have a lower back tattoo. It's almost hard to spot a teen without a tribal on her back these days. That's why the lower back tattoo is also known as a tramp stamp (amongst other names, see further).
Despite the fact that originality is far to seek, the lower back is in many ways a good choice, especially for Feminine Tattoos. This is true for several reasons:
- The lower back offers a lot of space: it has a wide, smooth expanse suitable for tattooing. Even a tiny girl can have a large tattoo on the small of the back. The designs are often oblong in shape, wider in the center of the back and following the slope on either side of the woman’s spine. A round tattoo at the base of the spine is a very different look, but can also be very attractive.
- The back is a place on the body that doesn't change much with age or weight fluctuations. As a result, tattoo designs on the lower back hold their shape and colors much longer than those on other places.
- They can easily be hidden by clothing if you need them to be – you may not wish to flash your tattoo at work for example. This location allows you to have quite a large tattoo that is nevertheless easy to hide.
- A lower back tattoo is easy to flash when and where you see fit, regardless of your clothing style. Whenever your shirt is short enough so that it doesn't quite meet the waistline of your pants, there is a potential to show your ink just by bending over. The popularity of lower back tattoos goes in sync with the popularity of low cut jeans and short tops.
- Lower back tattoos are very feminine. They are in a place normally covered with clothing, but easily uncovered. The tattoos themselves draw attention to this fact – we are seeing part of a woman’s body that would normally be covered. There’s something tantalizing and slightly forbidden about a tattoo like that.
There are also some disadvantages though:
- They are ridiculously unoriginal. If you want a lower back tattoo that's a bit more unique, try positioning it out of the center, more to the right or left of your spine.
- Some people see them as a symbol of a lower moral, but who cares?
- Pain: the lower back is one of the more painful areas of the body to have a tattoo. The general rule is: the closer to the bone, the more pain.
- You can only view your tattoo yourself when you look in the mirror.
Lower back tattoo designs come in a great variety of styles. Here are the most popular:
Tribal Designs: tribals are without doubt the most wanted tattoo designs for the lower back. Tribal styles lend themselves well to that location, most often creating an oblong pattern at the base of the back. Popular are the tribal sun, star and abstract tribals inspired by the tattoo styles of Borneo and Polynesia. Lower back tribal tattoos are also called tramp stamps (see further).
Angel Wings are also popular as a lower back tattoo because of their wide shape:
Flower Designs: a flower tattoo on the lower back has always been one of the first choices for a feminine tattoo design. Hibiscus, lotus and cherry blossom are the most popular.
Star Tattoos on the lower back are a popular choice for tattoo newbies.
Butterfly Tattoos: very feminine and ideal for the small of your back.
Lower back tattoos are very popular and consequently common these days, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding appropriate designs.
Lower Back Tattoo Tips
- Think before you ink! Research the tattoo you are about to get and if you have the slightest doubt about your design, move on and find another one until you are completely happy about the tattoo you are going to get.
- Wear loose pants when getting a lower back tattoo, make it easy for your tattoo artist to do his job.
- Wear loose pants during the healing process, prevent rubbing against your fresh tattoo.
Due to the extreme popularity of lower back tattoos, they have been called many names:
- Tramp Stamps: some people think that girls with a lower back tattoo are more promiscuous than others. Showing a lower back tattoo in public by wearing a low cut jeans and crop tops attracts attention. If you can't handle the attention, don't go for a low back tattoo or cover it up.
- Gramp Stamp: in about 40 or 50 years from now, there will be a lot of elderly ladies with a blurb of blue ink on their lower back.
- Bullseye Tattoo: this term comes from the movie Wedding Crashers. Vince Vaughn's character sees a girl and says "Lower back tattoo...might as well be a bulls eye".
- California License Plate: lower back tattoos are very popular in California...
- Arschgeweih: German for ass antlers.
- Butt Hat
- Bitch Tat
- Slut Tag
Lower Back Tattoos and Pregnancy
There are some rumors that lower back tattoos can be a risk for expecting mothers. The rumor is that they can prevent an epidural because there is a risk of infection caused by particles of the tattoo ink. Is this concern true?
The answers to that question vary and opinions are divided. Fact is though that there is no evidence of adverse effects as long as the tattoo is healed. Most doctors share the opinion that a tattoo is not a problem for an epidural.
If you're pregnant and have a lower back tattoo, mention it to your doctor and ask his advice. Also ask him, whether you have a tattoo or not, about the side effects of epidurals and possible health risks for you and your baby.
Celebrities and Lower Back Tattoos
The list of celebrities that have a lower back tattoo is endless, here's a selection:
- Angelina Jolie: she has 3: a tribal, a blue window, a Bengal tiger and a dragon. The blue window and the dragon are partly covered by the tiger tattoo. More about Angelina Jolie's tattoos
- Brandy: has a lotus flower tattoo on her lower back.
- Lindsay Lohan: has the words "La Bella Vita" (Italian for The Good Life) on the small of her back.
- Aaliyah: late R&B star, had a dove tattoo on her back.
- David Beckham: one of the few male celebrities with a lower back tattoo. He has the name of his son Brooklyn there.
- Victoria Beckham: she has 5 stars on her lower back, one for each family member.
- Britney Spears: has a fairy tattoo on her back.
- Maria Carey: has a butterfly tattoo on her low back (might be a fake, a temporary tattoo).
- Geri Halliwell: another Spice Girl with a lower back tattoo, her's is one of a black panther.
- Norah Jones: jazz singer with a star tattoo on her lower back.
- Jordan: this super model has a pink bow on the back.
- Anna Kournikova: celebrity with a large lower back tattoo.
- Eva Longoria: has a Celtic cross tattoo on the small of her back.
Make sure you have a look at our Wrist and Ankle Tattoos as well...