Pisces tattoos, just like other horoscope tattoos, are in vogue nowadays. One of the fascinating things about tattoos is that they are a way of showing the world a bit about yourself and your personality. For this reason, many people choose to have zodiac tattoos because the symbolism is so obvious.
The tattoo ideas for the zodiac tattoos are almost limitless. Horoscope symbols provide a solid basis for many tattoo designs and Pisces tattoos can be a great choice for your body art.
There's a wide variety of pisces tattoo designs, going from the girly look on the left to a more sinister style on the right:
Tattoo flash for 2 very different kinds of pisces designs
The Pisces Sign
Pisces is the sign of the Zodiac which covers people born from February 20 to March 20. It is of course a water sign, ruled by Neptune (the planet, not the underwater king :-)
The basic design of the pisces sign is of two fish facing opposite directions. Various interpretations include fish swimming away from each other or chasing each other. They are usually shown connected by a thin line or string connecting their mouths.
- Pisces are said to be indecisive, which is apt considering the opposite directions of the fish.
- Pisces see both sides of a problem, but have trouble figuring out which direction is right, or best. This makes them good mediators.
- They are also friendly, easy-going and compassionate.
- Pisces are intuitive, many claim to have a sixth sense.
- Pisces can be insecure, self-indulgent and lazy.
- They can be malleable, especially by stronger personalities who want to use them.
Many artistic people such as dancers, musicians, actors and photographers are said to be Pisces. Because this sign is also associated with a thirst for knowledge and spiritual understanding, many Pisces become priests or ministers of various religions.
The Pisces sign is:
- A water sign
- Connected with the planet Neptune
- Stone: Amethyst
- Color: pale green and violet
- Metal: Tin
- Flower: Violets and water lilies
Pisces Astrology Sign Tattoos
This zodiac's glyph symbol is one of the more common styles of Pisces tattoos that you will find. Consisting of a dual fish pattern in which the fish are portrayed similar to parentheses signs that are facing away from each other, but connected by a single line in the middle (The Pisces glyph looks somewhat like an H).
The simplicity of this sign means almost endless design possibilities. It can be done in almost any way from basic bold lines to some of the more stylized forms.
While it may look great no matter where this tattoo is located, this type of tattoo is most commonly found on the shoulder or ankle. Equally as stylish for men or women, there are some style differences that can be specific to your particular gender. For example, men might prefer a serpent slithering up the glyph, while women may choose a more cute tattoo design that includes flowers intertwined with the glyph for example.
Often, the sidepieces are made to look like thin, stylized fish, which blends the picture and the character in one tattoo. Again, there are as many different renditions of the glyph as there are artists, so there are many of these Pisces tattoos to choose from.
Pisces Fish Tattoos
Another common way of representing Pisces is the image of the fish, represented in a kind of yin yang style: two fish are shown as though they were swimming in opposite directions with their backs to each other and joined by a thin cord that connects their mouths. Like other designs, it reflects the Pisces’ dual nature.
The fish can symbolize a feeling of being torn in two directions. Perhaps you have two lovers and cannot decide which is the better choice, or perhaps you feel it may be time for a move, but don't want to leave your family and friends.
Fish have always been popular subjects for a tattoo design, partly due to the fact that they are part of the natural habitat of sailors (who were responsible for the initial success of tattoo art, back in the old school days). Because fish themselves are so variable, there are literally thousands of Pisces tattoos available. The fish you choose can be simple outlines, highly stylized, or beautifully detailed.
The most popular are Japanese koi fish tattoos. The Koi fish is a domesticated version of the carp and plays an important roll in Japanese and Chinese mythology. Koi fish tattoos represent strength and courage, the fish are usually depicted swimming upstream, going against the tide.
If you are a Christian, an other option for a fish tattoo is a Jesus fish tattoo. Such a Christian fish tattoo would depict your interest in both Christianity and astrology. You could use a design with two fish that are again facing opposite directions, but the fish themselves are what has come to be known as Jesus fish (see image below).
Pisces is often shown with dolphins rather than fish, due to the story from Greek mythology of two black dolphins which were sent by Poseidon (the Greek version of Neptune) to save Aphrodite and Eros from an evil monster (Typhon).
Pisces and Yin Yang Tattoo Art
A symbol that lends itself to the duality of the Pisces and the theme of opposites is the Yin Yang symbol. This is one that has grown in popularity with the two fish filling the halves as though swimming in opposite directions.
The symbolism of the fish are similar to the Chinese yin yang symbol, which represents the duality of all things. This highly recognizable symbol is an appropriate one to demonstrate the split personality of a Pisces.
Pisces and Flower Tattoos
When it comes to Pisces tattoo art, there are some who prefer not to be too obvious about their zodiac symbol, but still want a tattoo that represents it. In this case a tattoo depicting Piscean flowers could be an artful choice.
Both the water lily and the violet have been linked with Pisces, and either one or both could be incorporated into your Pisces design. Because Pisces is a mutable sign, one that crosses a seasonal divide, weather symbols would also be a good choice for your Pisces tattoo art. Dancing snowflakes, spring flowers, raindrops, and other symbols of winter and/or spring weather would meld nicely with your horoscope symbols.
Tribal Pisces Tattoo Designs
Tribal Pisces Tattoo
Another Pisces tattoo, one which has many variations, is the tribal Pisces tattoo. These combine fish or the pisces symbol with the typical tribal patterns of modern tribal art or Celtic knot work. The fish can be incorporated into a larger tribal piece, or left on its own.
More Pisces Tattoo Ideas
Here are some less common, more unique pisces tattoo ideas:
- The ruling planet of the Pisces zodiac sign is Neptune. This presents another choice in the design of a Pisces tattoo, as adding the planet to the tattoo can present a more individualistic type of tattoo. While Neptune is not one of the most distinctive planets, this only adds to the possibility of the design of the tattoo, as the planet can be colored in a number of ways depending on your preferences.
- From the planet Neptune, it's a small step to King Neptune. The pisces sign is ruled by the planet Neptune, so King Neptune with his trident (or only the trident) might be a good choice for your pisces tattoo.
- Since Pisces is a water sign, the addition of water elements to your Pisces tattoo is a possibility. The addition of aquatic plants and rocks, your fish appearing under the ocean, or water spots are things that can make your tattoo unique and help it stand out.
- Pisces is said to rule what is known as the Twelfth House, which is traditionally known as the house of the subconscious. Perhaps you have a hidden desire that you want to symbolize with the addition of a tattoo, and create a design that represents something that only you know the real meaning of.
- The fish can be replaced by other sea creatures to represent the yin yang aspect and present a more personalized design. Things such as mermaids, sharks, koi fish, killer whales or even dragons can provide the yin yang symbolism and provide a Pisces tattoo that exudes individuality and originality without having to include the fish as part of your tattoo.