Are zodiac tattoos (aka astrological tattoos or horoscope tattoos) the right choice of tattoo image for you, or will it turn out to be a tattoo you regret? It all depends on your personal relationship with astrology.
Do you consult your horoscope on a regular basis, and have you gone so far as to have a personalized chart done? That indicates that astrology is part of your personal belief system, and that you take it seriously enough to consider zodiac tattoos.
The word zodiac comes from the latin word zodiacus, meaning "circle of animals". The human race has always been fascinated by stars, it's no wonder that zodiac tattoos are so popular.
The ecliptic is divided in 12 constellations and zodiac signs (aka sun signs):
- Aries (The Ram): March 21 - April 20
Noted color: red
Body Part: head
Motto: I am
Positive qualities: rams are adventurous and brave. They understand things quickly, have a lot of energy and enthusiasm.
Negative qualities: the ram is egoistic, they find themselves the most important. They loose their temper easily and can be rude and impulsive.
- Taurus (The Bull): April 21 - May 21
Noted color: pink
Body Part: ears, neck, throat
Motto: I have
Positive qualities: bulls are very practical and have a big sense of responsibility (they are very reliably). They love art, good food and luxury.
Negative qualities: the bull can be possessive, stubborn and lazy. They are materialistic and greedy.
- Gemini (The Twins): May 22 - June 21
Noted color: yellow
Body Part: hands, arms
Motto: I think
Flower: Lavender, Lily of the Valley
Positive qualities: twins are very communicative and flexible. They are spontaneous, funny, intelligent and like to talk a lot.
Negative qualities: twins can be inconstant and superficial. They have a hard time controlling their nerves.
- Cancer (The Crab): June 22 - July 22
Noted color: silver
Body Part: stomach, breasts
Motto: I feel
Flower: water lilly
Positive qualities: crabs are very sensitive, sympathetic and have a big intuition. They are introvert, caring, adventurous and have a lot of fantasy.
Negative qualities: crabs can be over-sensitive, moody and they have a hard time letting things go.
- Leo (The Lion): July 23 - August 22
Noted color: gold
Body Part: back
Motto: I create
Positive qualities: lions are powerful, confident and creative. They are good leaders and organizers.
Negative qualities: the lion can be dominant and intolerant. They like to be the center of attention.
- Virgo (The Virgin):
August 23 - September 23
Noted color: green
Body Part: intestines (difficult place to have a tattoo...)
Motto: I analyze
Positive qualities: virgins are analytical, modest and clever. They are hard workers and very tidy.
Negative qualities: the virgin can be very critical and choosy. They can have too much attention for details.
- Libra (The Scales): September 24 - October 23
Noted color: blue
Body Part: kidneys
Motto: I balance
Positive qualities: the libra is very friendly and charming. He or she is idealistic, romantic and diplomatic. They have a great sense of justice.
Negative qualities: libras are very indecisive and changeable.
- Scorpio (The Scorpion): October 24 - November 22
Noted color: yellow
Body Part: secret parts
Motto: I seek insight
Positive qualities: scorpions are very intense and passionate. They have very powerful emotions and the ability to look at the essence of things.
Negative qualities: the scorpion can be jealous, closed, stubborn and sometimes aggressive and cruel.
- Sagittarius (The Archer): November 23 to December 22
Noted color: blue
Body Part: hips, thighs
Motto: I seek freedom
Positive qualities: archers are optimistic and sincere. They have a talent for languages, study, philosophy and love nature, sport and games.
Negative qualities: the archer can be restless, extreme, tactless and loud.
- Capricorn (The Sea-goat): December 23 - January 19
Noted color: brown
Body Part: knees
Motto: I utilize
Positive qualities: sea-goats are reliable, determined and hard workers. They are rational, patient and have a lot of discipline.
Negative qualities: they can be strict, miserly and pessimistic. They are prone to depressions.
- Aquarius (The Water-bearer): January 20 - February 19
Noted color: blue
Body Part: ankles
Motto: I know
Positive qualities: the aquarius is very independent, original and inventive. He or she is loyal, rational and very intuitive.
Negative qualities: they can be eccentric, anarchistic and careless.
- Pisces (The Fish): February 20 - March 20
Noted color: silver
Body Part: feet (more about foot tattoos ...)
Motto: I believe
Positive qualities: fish are very friendly, sensitive, humble and flexible. They can be very emphatic and have a strong religious feeling.
Negative qualities: fish can be indecisive, vague and un-earthly.They don't have a lot of will-power and have a hard time organizing their life.
Related Link: Pisces Tattoos...
More about Aries Tattoos...
More about Taurus Tattoos...
More about Gemini Tattoos...
More about Leo Tattoos...
More about Virgo Tattoos...
More about the Libra Tattoo...
Click for more Scorpio Tattoos...
More about the Aquarius Tattoo...
Here are some Zodiac tattoo ideas:
- Zodiac signs: use your zodiac sign as the basis for your tattoo design. Most often tattoo designs of zodiac signs are simple images, but full of symbolism.
- Animals & Flowers: You can have a tattoo of the animal or flower that is connected to your constellation.
Click for more Flower Tattoos...
- Your element: each zodiac is connected with one of the 4 elements: earth, wind, water or fire. You can combine your element and sign for your zodiac tattoo. Refer to the chart above to find out what the element for your zodiac sign is. The element of the Archer is fire for example, so what about an archer with arrows of fire as a tattoo design? Another obvious example is a fish tattoo in water or a leo tattoo with manes of fire.
- Color: each zodiac is connected with a color (see chart above). You can add more symbolism to your zodiac tattoo by making that color the dominant one.
- Body Part: to add even more symbolism to your zodiac tattoo, you can place it on the body part that is connected with your constellation. If you're a virgo or libra I wouldn't suggest this approach though (see chart above).
- Translate It: translate the name of your constellation or motto in an exotic script. Sanskrit and Tibetan work very well for zodiac tattoos because both the zodiac system and these old languages originate in the same period of time. The first holy books (the vedas) were written in sanskrit and Tibetan is the language used in many Buddhist scriptures. Besides that they are very beautiful and elegant scripts, ideal for the basis of your tattoo design.
Click here to translate your constellation in another language...
- Your loved one(s): while getting a tattoo with your own zodiac sign may be the obvious choice, some people also choose to get a tattoo of a loved one’s sign – a subtler version of the classic tattoo of a lover’s name that so many of us end up regretting! You may also find that several people who are important to you have the same sign, so a single tattoo could be a tribute to all of them.
- Go Tribal: you can use your zodiac sign or animal as a centerpiece for a tribal tattoo design. Or you can have your animal stylized the tribal way.
- The Stars: zodiac tattoos combine well with star tattoos.
- If you do decide to look into zodiac tattoos, don’t overlook the many classic or gothic renditions. They are ornate and very beautiful, suitable for an upper arm or ankle tattoo.
Some zodiac symbol tattoos are more open to interpretation than others, in terms of the images used to portray them. Gemini tattoos, for example, are open to a variety of interpretations. The sign is that of the twins, but there’s almost endless variety in the artistic representations of twins that you can find.
Others, like Libra or Taurus tattoos, are more limited in their representation, but can still be depicted in a variety of styles.
The zodiac system we talked about on this page is the system that's popular in the Western world, but don't forget that other cultures have different systems, like the Chinese zodiac or that from the Native Americans. Their symbols are also a good basis for zodiac tattoos.